Although most people know of Krav Maga as a form of martial arts, they might not be aware of its history, origin, and other fun facts. Some of these may even contribute to the training, making it more enjoyable! Below are just a few:
1. Krav Maga was created by Imi Lichtenfeld, a Jewish man living in German-occupied Czechoslovakia in the 1930’s. He developed this form of self-defense in response to the growing violence being committed in Jewish neighbourhoods, and to help defend the Jewish community. Lichtenfeld fled to Palestine in 1940, where he continued to enhance Krav Maga.
2. In 1948, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) appointed Lichtenfeld as their Chief Instructor for Physical Fitness and Krav Maga at the IDF School of Combat Fitness. He continued to refine his techniques for close-quarter and hand-to-hand combat, whilst training the men and women enlisted in the Israeli military.
3. Krav Maga is largely based on the amalgamation of various forms of martial arts and sport fighting. Lichtenfeld incorporated boxing, wrestling, Jujitsu, and Judo (to name a few). Years later, Muay Thai was also added to the repertoire.
4. Civilian training for Krav Maga did not occur until 1972. Israel was the first to make Krav Maga a part of their physical education / sports curriculum and start training non-military individuals.
5. Training provides a full body workout. Because much emphasis is on placed on speed, agility, and endurance, it challenges a person’s physical fitness while learning useful self-defense techniques.
6. Krav Maga is becoming the preferred workout regimen for many celebrities. Not only does training assist with weight loss and muscle development, but it also helps actors prepare for upcoming roles, including Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Daniel Craig, and Hilary Swank.
If any of these pique your interest, we encourage you to contact us and schedule your first free trial class. Whether you are looking to get into shape, maintain current fitness levels, or develop self-defense skills, we invite you to visit your nearest Elite Martial Arts location in Mississauga, North York, or Downtown Toronto. Please also feel free to call us at 647-406-9862.