In recent years, KravMaga has gained a steady following and is fast becoming the preferred form of training for many Hollywood actors. The main reason for this shift from traditional forms of martial arts is largely due to the “no-holds barred” style of KravMaga, which provides a more realistic experience for movie goers and TV show viewers.
In addition, actors are finding Krav Maga to be a great supplement (or even replacement) to their fitness workouts due to the intensity. Even in as little as 30 mins, they are able to fit in a challenging training session, all the while focusing on form and techniques required for stage combat sequences.
Below are just a few A-listers that have trained KravMaga:
1. Tom Cruise – Cruise started learning KravMaga in 2004 for the movie Collateral. There is even a specific scene where his character, Vincent, executes a weapon disarm/counterattack.
2. Angelina Jolie – In 2001, Jolie was introduced to KravMaga when filming Tomb Raider, and has since continued her training as her daily workouts (even when not preparing for a movie role).
3. Daniel Craig – Craig began practicing KravMagain 2006 for his role as James Bond in Casino Royale. He discovered that not only did it assist with action and fight sequences, but also helped develop his core and build muscle mass.
4. Brad Pitt – Alongside Angelina Jolie, Pitt also trained KravMaga in 2005 for their film together, and Mrs. Smith. In fact, tabloids at the time were extremely interested in this “new form” of fitness training and it became a hot topic in the media.
5. Hilary Swank – Swank discovered Krav Maga as a great way to stay in shape, and openly shared her enthusiasm for it on the red carpet at the 2008 Oscars. She admitted to enjoying the self-defense skills, such as how to get out of a choke hold or disarm an assailant.
For the everyday person, KravMaga is a great way to learn self-defense, as most of the techniques are instinctual with no rules/limitations in terms of targets. It is also relatively quick to become functional. Unlike other forms of martial arts, there are no “illegal” moves or strikes. KravMaga was developed to be used in real-world scenarios, and training entails simulating those situations as much as possible.
Elite Martial Arts Training Centres provide variousoptions based on students’ needs, from developing basic striking to weapons defense/disarm, as well as physical fitness training. To discover KravMaga for yourself, please feel free to stop by your nearest Elite Martial Arts location in Downtown Toronto, Mississauga, or North York, or call us at 647-406-9862 today!